The final crossing of the River Ness is a set of three foot bridges which connects the beautiful Ness Islands with both shores.
A simple beam bridge connects the two islands to each other.
Both islands are linked to the nearest shore by nearly identical suspension bridges. These were built in 1988.
The first set of bridges was built in 1829, but were destroyed by flooding (a recurring theme). In 1853 they were replaced by a pair of very curious half-suspension half-cantilever bridges.
One of these two bridges was saved, and now forms part of a miniature railway in a nearby park. Another (much larger) bridge of the same style is preserved in Oich (bridgemeister.com), at the opposite end of Loch Ness.
Next bridge: Tomnahurich and Muirtown Road Bridges
Previous bridge: Infirmary Foot Bridge
Index: Bridges of Inverness