The Tomnahurich and Muirtown bridges are identical bridges which form the only road crossings of the Caledonian canal in Inverness. Originally these were double-sided swing bridges. Traffic on the canal included ocean-going sailing ships, so all bridges had to movable.
In 1938 both bridges were replaced by single-sided swing bridges. These are much stronger structures.
Each bridge is equipped with gates, lights and bells to prevent drivers from taking the plunge when the bridge is open.
One of the bearings for the original double-sided bridge is still visible at Muirtown. It is partially covered by the retaining wall for the current bridge.
The bridges can be manually cranked open, however under normal circumstances they are powered by electric motors. The drive mechanism on the bridge meshes with a long curved rack on the ground.
Next bridge: Clachnaharry Rail Bridge
Previous bridge: Ness Island Foot Bridges
Index: Bridges of Inverness